Sunday, April 28, 2024

Poetry Sunday


Nowadays, being a "boomer" is often viewed as something shameful, as if our generation is responsible for all the ills of the world. Granted, we had quite a bit to do with them, but I don't think we were all bad. If nothing else, we had some of the greatest popular music ever - that's how cool we are. And speaking of the boomer generation's popular music, here's an anonymously-written poem that turned up on Facebook, composed entirely of bits of music from the 50's to the 70's. Enjoy!

Reflections of a Boomer
by "Uncle Joe"

I’ve seen fire and I’ve seen rain.
I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name.

I’ve gone to Kansas City, I sang in the sunshine.
I’ve been on the road again, with Georgia on my mind.

Like a rolling stone, I’ve given peace a chance.
I’ve put a camel to bed and danced the last dance.

Mr. Tambourine man played a song for me,
I’ve whispered words of wisdom, let it be.

I’ve fallen into a burning ring of fire and walked the line,
To all the girls I’ve loved before, you were always on my mind.

I’ve been everywhere, I’ve been so lonesome I could cry,
I’ve driven my Chevy to the levee when the levee was dry.

I’ve been to Itchycoo Park in a yellow submarine.
I’ve made the scene in a time machine.

I’ve done the Hokey Pokey and turned myself around.
I’ve welcomed baby back to the poor side of town.

I’ve followed the tracks of my tears down a long and winding road.
I’ve kept on searching for a heart of gold.

I’ve sought shelter from the storm, I’ve sat on the dock of the bay.
I’ve rocked around the clock, on a sunshiny day.

I’ve knocked on Heaven’s door, while blowing in the wind.
Joy to the world, those were the days my friend.

Lay lady lay, in crimson and clover.
It’s been a hard day’s night, the party’s over.


If you need me, I'll be here, counting flowers on the wall.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

2 comments:

allenwoodhaven said...

I like it and I can certainly relate!

Mike said...

I haven't heard about The Statler Brothers in a long time.