Thursday, September 30, 2010

Of 1492 and Death-Ray Hotels

Columbus Day won't roll around for another week and a half, but I was reminded of it when I brought up the Blogger dashboard to create today's post and learned that it is post number 1492. Now, how cool would it have been if that number would have fallen on Columbus Day? I guess that would have been too much coincidence, eh?

Today being my 1,492nd post means - assuming I manage to post every day as usual - I will hit post number 1500 next Friday. Hmmm... I need to figure out something spiffy to do to celebrate. Any ideas for an appropriate post topic?

Moving on to other topics, tonight is one of our prime TV-viewing nights, with two of our favorite shows: Bones and Fringe. And speaking of Fringe, which deals with all sorts of strange events, people (Walter is one of my heroes), and things, I call your attention to this interesting article: Swanky New Vegas Hotel's 'Death Ray' Proves Inconvenient for Some Guests.

It seems that the concave design and glass exterior of the new Vdara hotel in Las Vegas combine to turn it into the equivalent of a giant magnifying glass, focusing the heat of the Vegas sun (which, as Mike and I can tell you, is pretty intense at any time) on the hotel's swimming pool area. The heat is so intense that it has actually burned guests and melted objects.

Now, I know that lots of people get burned in Vegas every year, but this is ridiculous.

According to the article, similar 'hot spots' can be found around other gigantic, glass-wrapped Vegas hotels, but the new Vdara is the one getting the most unfortunate press.

So ...

If you've going to Vegas and staying at the Vdara, be sure to pack your SPF 67,000 sunblock and don't forget to whistle "On the Sunny Side of the Street" as you walk by the pool.

Speaking of pools, I won't need one this morning - it is pouring rain outside. It's raining so hard I'm thinking of getting my ark out of storage for the morning commute. Great weather to have at a time when our bus route has been detoured because of construction on the Fairfax County Parkway, and I have to walk an extra block to a different stop. Sadly, my Mae West clashes with my suit. No, Mike, not that Mae West ...

This one ...

Bummer.

Have a good day. Stay dry. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I read about that hotel yesterday. So when going to vegas you need SPF 1 million if you are going to relax by the pool? And no plastic bags needed...because they'll disappear!

Raquel's World said...

I think you should shake things about a bit and celebrate by sharing things about yourself. Not things like you like to read books but more personal things. I for one would enjoy it.
And you could remove the word validation in your comment area.:)

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A Death Ray is usually what the Emporer Ming used against Flash Gordon.

Mike said...

Hot spot. That is so cool, in an ironic sort of way. I see the solution coming as a green energy that's what we had planned all along and we wanted to surprise people kind of thing.

Mike said...

I saw on the news where some areas out your way got 21 inches of rain. I don't think either one of the May Wests will do you any good.

KathyA said...

You'd think the architect would have realized he done the same thing as the magnifying/burning of bugs with a microscope!