Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bilbo Wins (and Redistributes) the Superior Scribbler Award!

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to discover that I had been presented with a blogging award by Melissa B, The Scholastic Scribe. This is my coveted "Superior Scribbler Award":

Because Melissa is a high school journalism teacher, I must assume that this means she has chosen to overlook my occasional leaps of logic, typos, and general orneriness in making her generous decision to bestow this award. There are, however, a few rules and obligations which came with it:

1. I must pass it on to five other deserving bloggers (see below);
2. I must link to the author and to the name of the blog from whom I received the award (see above);
3. I must display the award on my blog and link to Melissa's post which explains said award (see my "honor roll" to the left, and the link above);
4. I had to add my name to the "Mr Linky List" (which I did, after figuring out what the #%$! a "Mr Linky List" was); and finally,
5. I had to post the rules on my blog (see 1-4 above, and reread this line).

Whew. Now I'm tired.

Thanks, Melissa, for the award, which I now pass on to the following five entertaining recipients who must now spend part of their day complying with your rules (although, knowing some of these people's approach to things, I can't vouch for the compliance rate)...

1. Amanda and The Milk Bar. Amanda is a stay-at-home mom whose blog documents her adventures in raising a dynamic two-year-old and her travels around Indonesia, Australia, and Malaysia. She takes great pictures and writes very funny and perceptive posts. And she writes a mean snail-mail letter, too.

2. Lacochran at lacochran's bloggery. The fact that she's decided, after we carried on a long-running disagreement, that I'll never change (don't hold yer breath on that one) doesn't change the fact that she writes very clever and entertaining posts...and makes the best use of endnotes of any blogger I've yet run across.

3. Gilahi at The Gilahi Blog. The self-described "aging hippie" with whom I sometimes philosophically disagree, but who writes some very good stuff. If you aren't laughing until tears roll down your cheeks at his descriptions of performing jury duty (Part 1 and Part 2) and of painting the ceiling, you need to check your pulse. You da man!

4. Zipcode at Capitol Hill 20210. A lady I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of (she owns multiple weapons - including a shotgun - and pals around with beefy law-enforcement types), but who always serves up entertaining and interesting observations. And I stand in awe of her ability to generate descriptive new terms for morons: who else uses terms like "assmidget"?

And, finally,

5. The Green Canary. A one-woman soap opera whose lengthy descriptions of dating woes and driving difficulties are the stuff of legend. Hope things continue to work out with Mr Mystery...

Well, there you go. Five new recipients of the Superior Scribbler Award. Don't forget that, while I've passed it on to you, the ultimate owner is a real teacher who will march down the aisle and smack your knuckles with a ruler if you don't live by the rules. I know about these things...I went to a Catholic grade school back when the nuns wore habits and believed in corporal punishment!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

9 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Congrats!!!

Melissa B. said...

I have to say that I had tears streaming down my cheeks (a cliche, yes, but a very apt one!) when I read this post. And I'ma gonna check out each one of these fabu-interesting bloggy friends of yours, too! Always up for a Great Read, ya know? In the meantime, if you get a chance, The Silly Sunday Sweepstakes in underway at My Place. I think you'll enjoy today's snap!

Anonymous said...

awww thank you :-)

lacochran's evil twin said...

Thanks for the kind words and the award. (You know I'm a sucker for an award!)

For the record, I didn't say you'd never change. I said it was not my job to change you. Big difference!

But I'd rather fuss about back-to-back memes. *hmph* I guess it's better than being roasted by Lisa Lapanelli and Jeffrey Ross.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Congrats on your Scribbler Award!

Mike said...

Good picks. Excellent picks. Keep up the good picking.

craziequeen said...

Congrats, Bilbo - couldn't happen to a nicer blogger......

You're a brilliant scribbler :-)

cq

ps I'm back!

Bilbo said...

Andrea - thanks!

Melissa B - I've entered this week's caption contest already.

Zipcode - no thanks necessary...I call 'em as I see 'em.

lacochran - I stand corrected. Aren't memes a pain sometimes?

Capt Picard - thanks!

Mike - glad you approve. By the way, I fixed the link.

Craziequeen - wow! My favorite 14th century damsel returns! Glad to have you back...hope all is well.

Amanda said...

Sorry I'm late to this post. Thanks so much for the award.

Congratulations to you for receiving it in the first place. You definitely write thoughtful and well planned posts. I enjoy all of them.