Saturday, October 04, 2008

Cartoon Saturday

Congress has passed and the President has signed the $700 billion economic bailout plan, O.J. Simpson was found guilty of armed robbery and kidnapping, Fannie Mae is forgiving the mortgage of a 90 year-old woman who shot herself when sheriff's deputies tried to evict her from her foreclosed home, and Hollywood legend Paul Newman has passed away.

You really need Cartoon Saturday.

Yes, the economic bailout package is now the law of the land. You can see a few examples of the more egregious pork items included in it to sweeten the deal for reluctant lawmakers here (my favorite is the tax exemption for a specific kind of arrow used by child archers, estimated to cost $2 million over 10 years, and worth $200,000 to an archery company in Oregon). I got my quarterly IRA statement yesterday, so this cartoon speaks to me...

Perhaps the worst thing about the current economic mess is that no one quite agrees on how to fix it, beyond shooting every third investment banker and mortgage broker and burning most of the rest at the stake. That got me thinking about directions, which led me to these three guidance-related cartoons...


And if you're one of those unfortunate people trying to unload an overpriced house in the current economic climate, your realtor's advice may be getting increasingly specific...


I hope you have a good weekend, in spite of the best efforts of Wall Street to screw it up for you. It still doesn't cost anything to take a long walk with someone you love, look at a beautiful sunrise or sunset, or watch a child at play.

Yes, some of the best things in life are still free. Enjoy them now, before they're taxed to pay for the next round of the bailout.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

Amanda said...

This afternoon, I visited a friend with a new baby - cute of course. While I was busy coo-ing at the newbor, I also had an eye on Aaron playing by himself with no support required. It was a wonderful afternoon, completely free. In fact, I got some wonderful afternoon tea out of it :)

I hope you have a great weekend!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Thanks for the laughs :) I really need them right now.

lacegem said...

Your first cartoon applies to me as well. I work for an investment broker so I see that kinda stuff everyday. I breathe it, I see it, I taste it, and yes I sometimes dream it. It's horrible! I need a change of phase. I would really like to go back to my true love which is "Art". All of the number stuff just crowd my brain. I'd like to e-mail you a cartoon which my friend sent me. Hope it gets to you. See you Friday!

KKTSews said...

The flip side of the real estate cartoon is the one for the buyer's agent, who explains a price as the "you've got to be S#&ing me" price.
I know whereof I speak, having been someone who drove away from a house on a military move leaving two signs--FOR SALE and FOR RENT. What this really meant was "someone, please help me make a house payment on this, my sucking chest/wallet wound".
I'm SO glad they forgave the mortgage for that poor old lady, but I have to wonder how many more will follow in a bid to get out of their debt. Sorry, I'm too negative. I hate to agree with Gov Palin and say there needs to be some personal resonsibility here.

Mike said...

I had read the school locker cartoon three times before I got it.

Yes I am.

Bilbo said...

Amanda - thanks! It's been a great weekend...so far!

Katherine - I thought the same thing when I read the story about the old lady and her use of the attempted suicide clause in her mortgage. You have to know that there will now be plenty of morons who will try the same thing...