Monday, March 05, 2012

Major Earwig Alert - The Theme to "Fireball XL-5"

Last Thursday, Peg wrote a post in which she wrote of her "knack at remembering stupid TV theme songs." I have the same skill, as it turns out, although mine seems to extend back a bit before Peg's ... I challenged her to produce the lyrics to the theme from Fireball XL-5 (a children's science fiction series from about 1963), and stumped her. In fairness, though, although I well-remembered the tune and the refrain, I couldn't remember the full set of lyrics to a TV theme that has been a deadly, unshakeable earwig for me since I was 12 years old.

But!!

Through the magic of the Internet, you can find out anything ... like the full theme song - with lyrics! - to Fireball XL-5. Here is the start of the show, with the theme song (which starts at 1:25, if you want to skip to it) ...


There's a third verse to the lyrics, which I found in another YouTube video that you can view here. And if you want to just skip the video and go straight to the lyrics, here you go:

I wish I was a space man,
The fastest guy alive.
I’d fly you round the universe in Fireball XL-Five
Way out in space together,
Conquerors of the sky.

My heart would be a fireball,
A fireball,
Every time I gazed into your starry eyes.

We’d take the path to Jupiter
And maybe very soon
We’d cruise along the Milky Way
And land upon the Moon.
To our wonderland of stardust,
We’ll zoom away to Mars.

My heart would be a fireball,
A fireball,
If you would be my Venus of the stars.

But though I’m not a spaceman,
Famous and renowned,
I’m just a guy that’s down to earth
With both feet on the ground.
It’s all imagination –
I’ll never reach the skies.

My heart is still a fireball,
A fireball,
Every time I gaze into your starry eyes.


Good luck getting it out of your head. Have a good day. If your heart is still a fireball, try Maalox. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

An earwig? No thanks! Some Beatle song got in my head and didn't leave for a long time.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Seriously, yours is a great post.

Right now I have Right said Fred's song in my head.

Duckbutt said...

That one is almost as bad as "It's a Small World"

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG I've heard this before.
At least it sounds very familiar.
But I don't believe I have ever seen it before. Oh this is a hoot.

the animation reminded me of Davey and Goliath. It must have been around the same time of the 60's perhaps?

Boy I feel old.thx Bill.

Big Sky Heidi said...

Oh! The humanity! That was so bad.

[Thank you, Bilbo]

Mike said...

I've got nothing with this. How old are you?