Thursday, May 07, 2015

Guest Post


Hi! It’s me again, Clara … you know, Bilbo and Agnes’s granddog (that’s a joke, you know, right?).


You might remember that I dropped by a few weeks back to introduce myself and give a bit of canine perspective on things. Now I’m back, and I have a funny story to tell you about the night Bilbo and I slept together.

Last weekend, Bilbo’s daughter and her family were out of town, and she needed someone to watch Lucy the cat and I. The last time, I stayed with Bilbo and Agnes at their house, but this time they decided that I was a little too energetic to visit there, so they decided to come down to their daughter’s house and stay with us. Because they both had a lot of things to do that weekend, they decided to split things up … Agnes stayed with us on Friday night and Bilbo stayed with us on Saturday night. This was okay with us, because as long as the water dish is full and there’s plenty of food and toys and long walks (for me ... for Lucy, not so much), we’re good.

So anyway, Bilbo came down on Saturday afternoon to stay with us. It was a really nice day, and he took me for a long walk so I could bark at squirrels and laugh at the dogs who weren’t allowed out and had to bark at me from their windows. We had a nice dinner and watched television (Bilbo let me lie on the couch with my head in his lap, while Lucy lay on the arm of the couch on the other side, so it was nice.) I just wish he’d have watched something with more dogs in it. Every so often I got up and climbed on him and licked the back of his neck to remind him.

Well, about 10:30 or so we went to bed. I know that Bilbo usually sleeps with Agnes, so he should be used to someone sharing his bed with him, but you wouldn’t know that from the way he behaved! He got into bed, and I right away laid down between his legs, which was a nice, snug, warm spot. He tried to make me move, but I was comfortable and didn't feel like moving, so he finally gave up and tried to go to sleep. Over the next few hours, I gradually moved up a little bit at a time until I was lying on his chest with my head on his shoulder. It was nice and comfortable, and listening to his heartbeat helped me to sleep, but for some reason he didn’t seem to like it as much as I did. I think he thought I was too heavy or something*. Go figure! He kept trying to push me off, but I’m pretty solid**, so I wasn’t going anywhere!

After a while, it started getting a little chilly in the room. I feel things like that, you know, because we pit bulls don’t have a lot of long hair to keep us warm. So I decided it was time to move. I licked Bilbo’s chin a few times to make sure he was awake and knew what I was doing, and then I burrowed my way under the covers next to him and snuggled up so that we could keep each other warm. It wasn't a three-dog night, so we managed just fine. Well, I did, anyway. Bilbo was complaining that he was too warm, but what does he know about it?

Bilbo usually tries to sleep late on the weekends because he gets up so early during the week to write his blog and go to work, but for some reason he got up really early on Sunday morning. I was nice and toasty warm, so I stayed in bed under the covers for a while before I figured it was time to get up and remind him about things like breakfast and morning walks. He might have forgotten, otherwise.

So we had a nice visit. Lucy sniffed around and considered joining us in bed during the night, but she decided to sleep somewhere else. That's fine with me ... Lucy's okay as cats go, but for real nighttime companionship, you just can't beat a dog!

Well, I guess that's all for now. It's not easy typing with paws, so I need to pace myself.

As Bilbo would say, have a good day. He'll be back tomorrow with more of his own thoughts, and I'll visit again from time to time when I have something to share.

Arf!

Clara

* But he's too much of a gentleman to tell a girl she's too heavy.

** Bilbo says I'm just one big muscle, which is pretty much true. You don't want to mess with me!

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A great story of canine preferences in warmth and sleeping arrangements. Have a nice, restful day. Maybe the two of you can bark together.

Linda Kay said...

My daughter's little yorkie comes to visit on occasion. We don't have our dogs sleep with us, but Abby has to sleep with us, and she makes me crazy moving around!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh how I love when Clara writes!
Clara, I'm sure Bilbo loved the walks as much as you did. :-)

KathyA said...

How nice it was of Sweet Clara (and Lucy) to accommodate you!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Nice of you to dog sit!

Mike said...

Clara sounds like the total opposite of the pit bull reputation.