Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Favorite Movie Scenes


There's an Internet meme that pops up from time to time asking one to name one's favorite movie scenes. I don't usually like to do memes (because they end up getting you tagged for millions of other memes, most of which are stupid or uninteresting), but I rather liked this one because I love movies. In this regard, I'm right up there with one of my favorite singing groups, the Statler Brothers ...



And so I'll share with you, Dear Readers, some of my favorite movie scenes (and I apologize in advance for some of the ads that come up before the clip starts ... they're a pain, but they're the price of YouTube) ...

From "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King": in the face of overwhelming odds, King Theoden* rallies his troops at the siege of Gondor:



The first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan":



The battle between the Enterprise and the Reliant in "Start Trek: The Wrath of Khan"**:



Taylor finds the wreckage of the Statue of Liberty on the beach in "Planet of the Apes":



Although it's no longer politically correct nowadays to honor or show any sympathy for those who fought for the Confederacy, this scene of Pickett's Charge from the movie "Gettysburg" has to call forth respect for the courage of those who charged at the Union line:



And finally, from the same film but from the other side's perspective, the 20th Maine on Little Round Top, outnumbered and out of ammunition, routs the Confederate attack with a bayonet charge led by ... of all people ... General Joshua Chamberlain, an English professor from Bowdoin College:



I have a lot of other "favorite" scenes ... what are some of yours? Leave a comment.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* I love the acting by Bernard Hill ... the way his expression starts with one of desperation and horror, then sets into one of, "screw you, orcs, we're coming for your heads!"

** The starships are much better actors than William Shatner.

5 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I like the gritty credits for the TV program, Battle Creek.

And the scene in Jump Street 21 where the nerdy cop gets to drive the hot car.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I like the "do you feel lucky" scene in Dirty Harry. And the whole old movie, "The Magnificent Seven."

Gonzo Dave said...

I don't watch enough movies, or watch the same movies often enough, to have favorite scenes. I do, however, have a favorite movie: Patton. I like the score; I like George C. Scott; I like the story. It's the one movie I've watched repeatedly over the years.

Mike said...

Well I've seen three of those movies.

A couple of movies that I can watch anytime they come on are Red October and The Fifth Element.

allenwoodhaven said...

The Princess Bride is my favorite movie. It's got more quotable lines than any other movie I know.