Sunday, August 23, 2015

Poetry Sunday


Yesterday was the anniversary of the birthday (in 1893) of American writer, poet, and critic Dorothy Parker, known for her razor-sharp wit and acid tongue. In a review of the novel Beauty and the Beast, by Kathleen Norris, she wrote, "I'm much better now, in fact, than I was when we started. I wish you could have heard that pretty crash Beauty and the Beast made when, with one sweeping, liquid gesture, I tossed it out of my twelfth-story window." It was also Ms Parker who was famous for such comments as "Brevity is the soul of lingerie," and for this excuse as to why she had not turned in an article on time - "Someone else was using the pencil." She also wrote a number of poems, among them this one that, I think, captures her personality perfectly:

Neither Bloody nor Bowed 
by Dorothy Parker 

They say of me, and so they should,
It's doubtful if I come to good.
I see acquaintances and friends
Accumulating dividends
And making enviable names
In science, art and parlor games.
But I, despite expert advice,
Keep doing things I think are nice,
And though to good I never come
Inseparable my nose and thumb.

I never knew Dorothy Parker, but I think I'd have liked her.

Have a good day, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

Atomic Dog said...

I never heard of her before, but I like her wit! Thanks for the info and the poem Bilbo.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

To thy own self be true. Dorothy Parker must have followed that advice.

Great poem!

Mike said...

She supposedly had a conflicted and unhappy childhood. I think if she were born today she would be a comedian.

Duckbutt said...

I like her poetry and her wit. She was an American original.

allenwoodhaven said...

Nice poem. Dorothy Parker was very quotable; her wit was very quick and clever.