Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Things We Expect, and the Things We Don't


An interesting thing happened to me the other day.

I had gone into a local book store to buy some books for my granddaughter*. After leaving the bookstore I ran a few more errands, and arrived home an hour or so later. On unpacking the bag from the bookstore, I discovered that the clerk had put into the bag not only my receipt, but also the charge slip I'd signed.

I had to go out again later for something else, so I drove back to the bookstore and went to customer service to give them the signed charge slip.

Well ...

They were shocked that I'd brought it back. The look on the clerk's face was one of amazement, as was that on the face of the manager who came out in response to her summons ... she fell all over herself thanking me for bringing it back. As I walked away, I could hear them still chattering and expressing surprise that I'd actually brought back the charge slip.

So, here's my question: when did we start being amazed by someone who tries to do the Right Thing? Have we become so used to poor, selfish behavior, with everyone looking out for Number One, that the Right Thing actually shocks us?

Now, I'm not trying to portray myself as a paragon of good behavior, but I do try to live the values of honesty and fair play that my parents taught us, and to pass them on to my children and grandchildren. It's not always easy, but if we don't do it ourselves, how can we expect good behavior of others ... especially our political class?

Have a good day. Do the right thing.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* The Day the Crayons Quit, The Day the Crayons Came Home, and The Book with No Pictures.

7 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

You're a good man; you did the right thing. It's sad that so many are totally surprised when people do the right thing; in a better world we should be surprised by honesty.

Linda Kay said...

It only takes a few minutes of our time to make sure that we are "good" folks. Nice job!

Insane Penguin said...

I'm jaded, so I'm surprised at honesty.

allenwoodhaven said...

Character consists of what someone does when no one is looking.

I don't know who first wrote that, but I agree wholeheartedly. Bilbo, you are an honest man; I hope Diogenes reads your blog!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I think most people would do the right thing. The clerk could have had to eat the difference if no receipt came up at the end of the day.

Mike said...

Hopefully the lesson will stick with the kiddies.

John A Hill said...

The looks on their faces and the chatter was probably worth the price of returning the charge slip!