Sunday, April 17, 2022

Poetry Sunday


This is how it works at my house, and probably at the houses of anyone of my generation ...

Basement
by Louis Jenkins

There's something about our basement that causes forgetting. I go down for something, say a roll of
paper towels, which we keep in a big box down there,
and as soon as I get to the bottom of the stairs I have forgotten what I came 
down there for. It happens to
my wife as well. So recently we have taken to working
in tandem like spelunkers. One of us stands at the
top of the stairs while the other descends. When the descendant has reached the 
bottom stair, the person
at the top calls out, "Light bulbs, 60 watt." This
usually works unless the one in the basement lingers
too long. I blame this memory loss on all the stuff in
the basement. Too much baggage: 10 shades of blue
paint, because we could not get the right color, extra dishes, bicycles, the 
washer and dryer, a cider press, a piano, jars of screws, nails and bolts.... It 
boggles the mind. My wife blames it on radon.


Actually, my mind has been boggled for a long time, and the basement has nothing to do with it.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. And Happy Easter, if it's a holiday you observe. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

2 comments:

Mike said...

You forget what you went down there for because your mind is flooded with joy at seeing all your stuff!

allenwoodhaven said...

Mike makes a good point. They can be problematic though. I've had flooded basements...