Sunday, July 10, 2022

Poetry Sunday


I think about growing old a lot less than I used to. I am old, after all ... at least compared to a lot of the self-important young clowns who hang out at the mall. Nevertheless, we old fogies know how to relate to each other, as Ken Hada tells us in today's poem ... 

Old Men
by Ken Hada

I make it a point now
to wave to old men I pass
old men standing in shade
of a yard, maybe
a daughter's place
where now he's just a tenant
trying to understand role reversal.

I raise my forefinger
As I steer country roads or pass
Through tired neighborhoods.
Most return a wave or nod Howdy.
Driving gives you some perspective,
shows you how you might end up.

We allow something
now, especially those of us sitting
on porch swings, those
who never got around to going
somewhere, those
who still feel like something 
somehow is missing.


Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. And wave to an old guy - he'll appreciate it.

More thoughts coming. 

Bilbo

2 comments:

Mike said...

There is an alcohol(?) commercial on TV where the kid that goes over and picks up the bottle looks like she's 13.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Thank you!