Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Thoughts on The State of the Union


Tonight, President Biden will deliver his "State of the Union" address to a joint session of Congress. It's a duty mandated by the Constitution*, which tasks the President to 

"... from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he** shall judge necessary and expedient."

The actual form and mechanics of the president's presentation of this information are not prescribed in the Constitution, and have developed over the years, as Gillian Brockell's interesting and informative article in the Washington Post explains. 

I enjoy public speaking. I was a member of various local Toastmasters Clubs for many years, and I appreciate what goes into the crafting of a good speech. Unlike many people, I love to get up in front of an audience and convey information I think they need or want to hear. I also enjoy listening to a well-prepared and delivered speech. Sadly, though, our times have reduced the stirring oratory of a Cicero, a Franklin Roosevelt, or a Winston Churchill to soporific collections of focus-group-tested bumper stickers focused more on firing up the base than sparking thoughtful action.

One of the worst public speakers of all time is, of course, Der Furor, whose nonsensical, wandering word salads are an embarrassment to himself and the nation. President Biden is not an especially good speaker***, although he is far more focused, capable, and likable than his predecessor.

Given how time and technology have advanced, I believe that the in-person, televised, State of the Union address has outlived its usefulness. It has become little more than a spectacle more suited to grandstanding by members of the audience in the chamber than the presentation of actual, useful information. If I were king†, I'd go back to the system used for many years of delivering a printed report to Congress and to all the media outlets. It wouldn't have the same entertainment value, but it would deliver more useful information and prevent focus on theatrics rather than the dull but essential business of sound government ... which has finally returned after the meandering incompetence of the previous administration.

That said, I'll be watching tonight. And if President Biden delivers the workmanlike, competent speech I expect, and Sarah Huckabee Sanders delivers the "my-gawd-see-how-the-Democrats-are-deliberately-destroying-the-country-and-not-even-wearing-AR15-pins" screed I also expect, I'll go to bed none the wiser for the experience. After all, the pundits of both sides will line up to tell me what I heard.

Have a good day. Enjoy listening to a good speech, if you ever have the opportunity.

More thoughts coming. 

Bilbo

* Article II, Section 3, to be exact.

** Or she. Or they, depending on the preferences of the Pronoun Police.

*** Although he needs to get proper credit for his long struggle to control his stutter, which has been unfairly likened to mental weakness by his political opponents.

† And you should be glad I'm not!



2 comments:

Mike said...

I wonder if anyone condenses the speech without all the one-minute applause segments. That's why I quit watching this circus. Claudia still watches it and fills me in.

River said...

Like Mike; I quit watching (youtube) after about twenty minutes because of all the applause breaks. If they put up a condensed version I'd watch that.