Saturday, July 08, 2023

Cartoon Saturday


Sigh ...

The man who murdered 23 people by gunfire at an El Paso Walmart in 2019 has been sentenced to 90 consecutive life terms in prison; the Biden administration has decided it will provide cluster munitions to Ukraine as part of a new package of lethal military aid; the Fury 325 roller coaster at a Charlotte, NC, amusement park was shut down after a large crack was discovered in a steel support pillar; a review panel has recommended that Der Furor's lawyer Rudy Giuliani be disbarred for his aggressive pursuit of false claims about the 2020 election; and in the Mexican town of San Pedro Huamelula, mayor Victor Hugo Sosa has married a caiman (an alligator-like reptile) named Alicia Adriana as part of an ancestral ritual meant to bring good fortune to his people ... before the ceremony, Alicia Adriana - her snout bound shut to prevent dangerously-passionate kissing - was taken from house to house dressed in a headdress of ribbons so residents could dance with her.

This week, a look at my summer passion - gardening. I have other passions, but I'm too old for most of them.

The German in me wants to try this one, but I can't find beer seeds ...


This is how I feel about the local deer population ... I'm not running any all-you-can-eat salad bar for the critters ...


Me, too ...


'Gnome sayin'? ...


Technically, it's not a cartoon, but it's accurate ....


I'm not so good at indoor gardening ...

It's one way to deal with unpleasant neighbors ...


This is how it works for me with things like Brussels sprouts and eggplant ...

Weeding is a pain, but it really is very theraputic! ...


An actual image of Agnes showing me where to plant a new tree* ...


And that's it for our collection of gardening-related cartoons for the week - can you dig it?

Have a good day and a great weekend. More thoughts tomorrow, when Musical Sunday returns.

Bilbo

* This is also an accurate representation of the act of gardening in Northern Virginia, which consists of coaxing plants to grow in a quarter-inch of topsoil over eight feet of clay and rocks.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I have clay but no rocks. So I dig a big hole and fill it with real dirt to give the plant a head start and a little bit of a chance at survival.

allenwoodhaven said...

Good ones this week; thanks. That'd be a good beer garden to have! And the last one happens every time.

I have mostly clay and dirt, not good enough to be called soil. I've added good soil over the years. Our problem is the blazing all day sun. Even some plants meant for full sun can't survive in our garden.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog