Sunday, July 09, 2023

Musical Sunday


This past Thursday we celebrated the birthday of one of my favorite singer/songwriters, the late Nanci Griffith. Her most-remembered song is probably "Late Nite Grande Hotel," but my favorite is this one, sung live at a 1998 concert in Glasgow. Nanci died in 2021, far too soon.


Here are the lyrics: 

Let me ride on the wall of death one more time
Let me ride on the wall of death one more time
You can waste your time on the other rides
But this is the nearest to being alive
Let me take my chances on the Wall of Death

You can go with the crazy people in the crooked house
You can fly away on the rocket or spin in the mouse
The tunnel of love might amuse you
And Noah's Ark might confuse you but
Let me take my chances on the Wall of Death

On the Wall of Death
All the World is far from me
On the Wall of Death
It's the nearest to being free

Well you're going nowhere when you ride on the carousel
And maybe you're strong, but what's the use of ringing a bell
The switchback will make you crazy
Beware of the bearded lady
Oh let me take my chances on the Wall of Death

You're going nowhere when you ride on the carousel
And maybe you're strong, but what's the use of ringing a bell
The switchback will make you crazy
Beware of the bearded lady
Let me take my chances
Let me take my chances
Let me take my chances

"You can go with the crazy people in the crooked house" is not meant to encourage support of GOP members of the House "Freedom Caucus," but it would certainly be appropriate.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

2 comments:

Mike said...

I looked up Nanci Griffith to see how she died. Wikipedia didn't have any info. Guess what did? Bard. Bard says she had a history of breast cancer and thyroid cancer either of which could have come back. Bard is a sneaky little guy.

Anonymous said...

The song was written by Richard Thompson and recorded by her and good then wife Linda on their great album Shoot Out the Lights.