Wednesday, July 05, 2023

LGBTQ etc.


Dear Reader, let me ask you a personal question, if I may ... are you lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, queer, or anything else covered under "+"?


You don't have to answer, because I don't care. Why should I? Why should anyone? Who you choose to love is your business, not mine ... just as you get no vote on who I'm attracted to.

By way of full disclosure, you should know that I am an ordinary, traditional, heterosexual man. I've never been attracted sexually to another man, nor do I understand why, in a world filled with women like Agnes, Scarlett Johanssen, and Sophia Loren, any man would be attracted to another man, or any woman to another woman. But the fact that I don't understand it doesn't mean that it isn't real to those who are.

I accept that some people have sexual attractions different from my own. And you know what? I'm good with that. As long as they're willing to accept me as I am, I have no problem with accepting them as they are. You leave me alone, I'll leave you alone. Live and let live.

As it happens, I have many friends are gay, lesbian, or whatever*. I enjoy spending time with them, sharing common interests in music, dancing, movies, art, and generally enjoying life. Their sexual orientation is of no consequence in our mutual enjoyment of any of those things.

Many people who have an issue with LGBTQ+ people base their opinion on their "deeply-held religious beliefs." Well, okay, then ... if being LGBTQ+ offends your religious beliefs, don't do it. And don't expect everyone else to change their lives to accommodate you. 



And if you are one of those who likes to use your religious beliefs as a cudgel to beat other people, consider that the Golden Rule** admonishes you to

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The world will be a better place if you do.

Have a good day. Respect the rights and feelings of others, even when you don't agree with them. We'll all be a lot happier.

More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

* This is a common dodge used by many people to sugar-coat their actual opposition to people of other races, religions, or sexual orientations: "I've got a lot of _____ friends, but ..." In my case, though, it's actually true.

** A version of which is common to every religion, as far as I know.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I think everyone has a little + inside them.

River said...

I don't have any religious beliefs and don't care who loves who.