Friday, February 13, 2009

Countdown to Valentine's Day, and Becoming a Better Person

Yesterday I shared with you the approach to Valentine's Day taken in the progressive and gentle kingdom of Saudi Arabia, where the religious police enforce a ban on things red in the days leading up to that horribly satanic day. Today, we have this interesting article, sent to me by my friend Leslie: "Loose" Women Launch Pink Panty Protest. Yes, lest you think that only ultra-conservative Muslim clerics with their clue chutes up and welded shut get hysterical about Valentine's Day, from India comes this story about normal women protesting the self-appointed morality police of the ultra-conservative Hindu organization Sri Ram Sena. The ladies say their mission is to "go bar-hopping on February 14 and send hundreds of pink knickers to Sri Ram Sena," which believes that pubs are for men and that women should stay home, have children, and cook meals for their men. Go, ladies!

For my part, I always enjoy our Valentine's Day dance party, where everyone is encouraged to wear red, and I am always amazed by what beautiful dance dresses can be fashioned from so little material. Sadly, there seems to be an inverse mathematical relationship between the amount of material contained in the dress and its cost.

Speaking of dancing, if you haven't seen Mike's blog this morning, he has a great video clip of a Lindy Hop competition, and said he thinks Agnes and I are in the crowd somewhere. I wish. Forty years ago I could have danced like that...now, the somewhat slower dances are more my speed. Of course, if you're going to dance anyhow, why not pick a dance in which you can hold a beautiful lady close enough to smell the perfume, rather than dribbling her across the floor like a basketball?

Earlier this week, CNN published this article from The Frisky: Ten Ways to Become a Better Person. If, like me, you need help, here's the list (with my commentary, of course):

1. Pack your own lunch. Yep, I've got that one down.

2. Call your mom for no reason. Mom passed away long ago...I wish I could.

3. Volunteer. The way the economy is going, it may be the only way you'll be able to work.

4. Tip, even if your order was messed up. I'll usually tip unless the server was just downright rude, clueless, or clearly incompetent. I may need a reference from them someday.

5. Get over a grudge. This one's not easy. I'm only holding one grudge, but I'm nursing that one.

6. Call up an old friend. Even better, write him/her a letter. Everyone loves getting mail that doesn't demand you send money in return.

7. Bake cookies for your coworkers. Forget it. I can cook with the best of them, but I'm a hopelessly inept baker. If I have to bake anything, I subcontract the job to my daughter, who is a fabulous baker.

8. Finish your book. No problem there. I finish books all the time. I just need to write one of my own.

9. Get up 30 minutes early and make breakfast. I refuse to get up any earlier than I already do.

10. Learn something new. There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment when you learn something outside of your normal range of interests. Someday, I hope to be able to learn how to make the clocks on all my electronics quit flashing 12:00.

As Mike has pointed out already, today is Friday the 13th. If you suffer from triskaidekaphobia, stay home, don't break any mirrors, avoid black cats, and don't walk under ladders.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Do something nice for your beloved. Ladies, this means you, too - there's nothing wrong with treating your guy right occasionally.

Have a good day. Cartoon Saturday is coming to help wrap up your week. Be here tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I wish I had the same excitement over Valentine's Day as I did when I was younger. There used to be so much anticipation for the day....

Let's see if I have anything interesting to report on tomorrow :)

an orange county girl said...

oh no. i could never be a better person because i can't do #9. i hate getting up earlier than i have to because sleep is so, so precious!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'm not getting up any earlier either. No way.

Anonymous said...

Bill, regarding #7 on your list--that's why God invented bakeries. While I have baked cookies, pies, cakes and bread from scratch, I find these days I resort to what my mom did--buying something because I don't have time/don't want to make the time to cook from scratch.

Mike said...

I think you trying to dribble Agnes would make a cool video.


Wv- ceism - element number 55

Bilbo said...

Amanda - here's hoping!

Liz & Andrea - you can never get enough sleep!

Leslie - but that takes all the fun out of it...

Mike - yes, but it would end with her slam-dunking me.