Monday, November 29, 2010

Great Moments in Editing

You may not realize it, but I put a great deal of effort into putting together quality blog posts for your enlightenment and entertainment. I carefully craft what I want to say, edit carefully, proof-read each post a gazillion times before I hit the "Publish Post" button ...

... and, all too often, later find embarrassing typos that I have to go back and fix.

But that's the beauty of the Internet - I can go back and fix those mistakes with a relative minimum of difficulty. In print media, you're not quite so lucky. Here are a few examples of editing that didn't quite make the grade:

Perhaps we have found a new test for potential Congressional candidates ...

Stop the presses!

Well, yes ...

Friends don't let friends ... never mind ...

Is this a counting problem, or a recognition problem? ...

And finally, this one isn't really a typo, but I just couldn't resist it ...

And now it's now time to go back to work after a long and enjoyable holiday weekend. I'm not complaining, though ... at least I have a job to go back to. One more thing to be thankful for.

Have a good day. Edit well. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

8 comments:

Bandit said...

These are always funny to me. I used to stay up late enough on Monday night to watch "Headlines" on Leno. I don't know if he still does that segment.

Raquel's World said...

"out of forty women, only two were female" Yikes!

KathyA said...

LOL Yes, editing is an under rated job.

John A Hill said...

I need to save the last one..."Honey, I'm only staring at her breasts for my health!"

Bilbo said...

Bandit - I love these, from whatever source!

Raquel - my feelings exactly!

Kathy - essential, but time-consuming, not fun, and definitely underrated.

John - hope it works better for you than it did for me.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Great stories. They made me laugh!

allenwoodhaven said...

Wonderful post! I love this sort of things and notice them all too often. You found some real gems; thanks for the laughs.

Amanda said...

LOL!!! Too funny!