Sunday, November 30, 2014

Poetry Sunday


As we race headlong into the Christmas season, this poem sums up for me the meaning of Thanksgiving. I'm sure there's an author somewhere needing credit, but I'm not sure who it is ...

The Blessing of Unanswered Prayers
Unknown Author

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I had asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

Have a good day. Continue to be thankful for the good things in your life, small though they may be.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Duckbutt said...

A nice, thoughtful poem.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The poem provides an interesting paradox: sometimes what we ask for is not what truly satisfies us. A good post-Thanksgiving poem, Bilbo.

Mike said...

I was given membership in the 99 percent.

Linda Kay said...

We had a lesson in Sunday School this morning about giving back in relation to what we have been given.