Sunday, November 23, 2014

Poetry Sunday


Okay, it may not be PC to admit it, but I love beautiful women. I believe in the words of the author Jean Kerr, who once said, "I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty about beauty being skin deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" Not only am I fortunate enough to be married to a beautiful and extraordinarily talented woman, I have the equally good fortune of having many other beautiful and talented women as friends ... ballroom dancing will do that for you. Today's poem is an interesting celebration of an underappreciated attribute of beautiful ladies ...


The Shoulders of Women
by Jeffrey Harrison

Bored by the featureless speeches at the fundraising dinner,
I scan the hotel ballroom for something to look at
and discover (thank God for sleeveless dresses!)
the shoulders of women, pale moons aglow
above the linen-covered tables. Smooth and rounded
like the neighboring breasts, they are less obvious
and more complex, their inner mechanism
of muscle, tendon, cartilage, and bone
giving detail and highlights to their contours,
making more exquisite the way the skin
is pulled taut across the clavicle's diagonal ridge
then dips into that shallow well above it,
the way it curves down, then up again unseen
into the nether hollow of the underarm,
that tender pocket, the shoulder's hidden nest.
The speaker patters on about how there has never
been a more important time than now, and I
have to agree, because when will I ever see
a collection of shoulders as marvelous as this?
I feel blessed to have been let in on this
open secret: all over the room, women revealing
the rounded upper corners of their nakedness.
And when the speeches finally end, I applaud
not for what was said, but for these women,
for the shoulders they have so generously given.



Yes, it's Halle Berry, and she has award-winning shoulders*, according to Fitbe magazine.

Appreciating all those beautiful women is a heavy burden, but I'm able to ... uh ... shoulder it.

Have a good day, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* And everything else, according to ... well ... me.

4 comments:

Gonzo Dave said...

I'm a neck person, myself, but they are quite often displayed together.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I never thought of my shoulders in that fashion before, but I'm willing to go with it!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

A nice poem. Any about behinds?

The Bastard King of England said...

Halle Berry's shoulders deserve a poem all their own.