Monday, December 26, 2016

Adopting Sophia's Approach to Privacy


When we moved into our house in 1992 and I adopted the front corner bedroom for use as my study, I quickly ran into a problem: in order to fit in my desk and all my bookshelves, I had to remove the door. This meant that, unless I decided to go with tacky beads or opaque plastic sheets, I would have to give up the privacy provided by a door.

Now, this is not as crucially important nowadays, as only Agnes and I are in the house most of the time, and I don't generally need to keep her out of my study*. The grandchildren aren't here all that often, and most visitors don't wander around the house and poke their noses in. But nevertheless, most of us need a little privacy now and then.

Enter Sophia.

I found this clever flowchart posted on Miss Cellania's wonderful blog a few days back:

    
This young lady has a fairly sophisticated and methodical approach to minimizing unwanted traffic into her room, and it got me to wonder how I might adopt her strategy to help keep people out of my study, given the lack of a functioning door. Here's my version of Sophia's chart; click to embiggen ...


Just so you're not surprised if you come to visit.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* Except when I'm wrapping gifts, or when I have to hide the supply of chocolate for one reason or another.

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That works things out well!

Kathy said...

I'm so glad I saw this before my next visit to your domain.

John A Hill said...

Fine!
Next time I'll bring drinks!
Bourbon work?

Mike said...

So I can bribe my way in with drinks and snacks? You've been living in the DC area too long.

Banana Oil said...

A man cave without a door.

allenwoodhaven said...

What a clever idea! I just may make one of my own.