Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Bilbo's Bucket and Anti-Bucket Lists, Updated



You all remember what a bucket list is, right? It's the list of things you want to do before you "kick the bucket," as the old saying goes. I published my initial five-item bucket list back in August of 2008, and have updated it several times, last in January of this year, by which time it was down to four items, from a one-time high of eight. Now that the year is almost gome, I've decided to update my Bucket List once again:

1. Dance at the Weddings of All My Grandchildren. This was #1 on all previous lists, and remains at #1. I’ll make the first step on it this coming July, when my oldest grandchild, Marcy, ties her knot.

2. Hold My First (at Least) Great-Grandchild and Read to Him or Her. This was #2 on all previous lists, and holds steady. No change. I held and read to each of my children and grandchildren, and want to carry the tradition forward with as many of my great-grandchildren as I can. 

3. Visit Vienna, Warsaw, Prague, and Budapest. My original list had only two cities on it: St Petersburg (the one in Russia, not the one in Florida) and Vienna. St Petersburg fell off the list when we visited there for two days during our 2016 Baltic cruise (back when we were still getting along with the Russians), and I replaced it with Warsaw, Prague, and Budapest. We’d hoped to get to Vienna last year, but my knee replacement surgery intervened ... we’re hoping to get there later this year.

4. Publish at Least One Book. This has been on the list since the beginning, but I'm slowly inching closer. Last year I finished the first draft of a novel, which I'm still polishing after incorporating comments made by my nephew Eddie, who is a high school English teacher. We’re getting there, one edit at a time.

These seem reasonable for a guy my age and in reasonable health, so we'll see how it goes.

But wait, there's more!

A new “thing” that cropped up a while back was the “Anti-Bucket List” ... a compilation of the things people would never do or, having done once, would never consider doing again. I thought it was an interesting thing to consider, and last year in this space, I posted my initial Anti-Bucket List. There were five items on it back then; I’ve decided to keep the number to five and to revise it a bit for the new year: 

1. Vote Republican (#4 on the previous list). I was a Republican for a long time, until I gave up in disgust during the second George W. Bush administration. The nation needs a principled and responsible conservative party to balance liberal policies which are well-meaning but sometimes unrealistic or unsustainable ... but today's angry and nihilistic Republican party and its despicably self-centered and petulant leader certainly isn't it. If you liked the fascism of the 1940s, you'll love the party of today's MAGAts.

2. Smoke (#1 on the original list). It's a nasty, dirty, smelly, and unhealthy habit with no socially redeeming qualities. I never have, never will, and don't enjoy being around those who do. You've been warned.

3. Take "Recreational" Drugs (#2 on the previous list). My doctor already has me taking so many different pills that I rattle when I walk ... why make things worse?

4. Drink to Excess (#3 on the original list). I love a good glass of wine or a well-made cocktail, and will never give those up. The last time I was truly and embarrassingly drunk was in 1973, and I still hate to think about it*. I'm never doing that again.

5. Skydive (holding at #5). I see no point in jumping out of an airplane that isn't on fire. My brother was an Army paratrooper and I have friends who have gone skydiving (yes, Silvia, I'm talking to you!), but I'll just keep the old seat belt fastened, thank you very much.

There are a lot more things I could put on this list, but I think I'll save them for another day. What's on your bucket and anti-bucket lists? Leave a comment. I promise not to tell.

Have a good day. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

* As far as I know, the only remaining witness to the aftermath of that sorry event is my old friend Toni, who has had the grace to remain silent about it for all these years.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Right now I'm too busy avoiding things that need to be done to have a bucket list. So...
BL - Wake up every day.
ABL - Don't die.

Bilbo said...

Worthy goals, Mike!