On Saturday we will celebrate the birthday of Eric Hoffer, the man remembered as "The Longshoreman Philosopher."
Longtime readers of this blog know that I am a huge fan of Mr Hoffer's work, in particular his classic 1951 book The True Believer, which described the growth and evolution of mass movements and the psychology that drives their adherents. I've written several times over the years about the lessons he has to teach us, most recently in my post from April, 2018, titled "Eric Hoffer and Donald Trump."
I won't reiterate that earlier post here, but I encourage you to go back and read it in view of the situation in which we find ourselves eight years later. I also encourage you to read more of Mr Hoffer's work, which is very readable, offers profound insights into the human condition, and goes a long way toward explaining the appeal of Der Furor to the MAGA mass movement he has created. As he wrote in The True Believer (and I quoted in my earlier post),
"It is the true believer's ability to 'shut his eyes and stop his ears' to facts that do not deserve to be either seen or heard which is the source of his unequaled fortitude and constancy. He cannot be frightened by danger nor disheartened by obstacles nor baffled by contradictions because he denies their existence ... it is the certitude of his infallible doctrine that renders the true believer impervious to the uncertainties, surprises, and the unpleasant realities of the world around him."
It would be interesting to know what Eric Hoffer would make of the MAGA movement as it has developed. I'm sure he could get another book out of it.
Have a good day. More thoughts coming.
Bilbo
.jpeg)
1 comment:
Interesting! I've never heard of him. I'll check him out!
Post a Comment