Saturday, January 08, 2011

Cartoon Saturday

Welcome to 2011!

In Canada, a would-be actress staged a fake casting call for infants and used the occasion to try to kidnap a one-month-old baby; two freshman Republican reprehensives had to have their first votes in Congress invalidated when it was discovered that they had not attended their swearing-in ceremony; police in Los Angeles have identified two men suspected of raping disabled women in a care facility; officials in North Korea, evidently forgetting that they killed two soldiers and a number of civilians when the shelled a South Korean island last year, have suggested that their southern neighbors "...discard any unnecessary misgiving, open their hearts and positively respond to the north's proposal (for 'early and unconditional talks')"; and in Washington and Idaho, lucky winners are dividing a $380 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot that should have been mine.

Now, more than ever, we all need Cartoon Saturday.

The Republicans have taken charge of the House of Representatives, and in a spirit of bipartisan fellowship have declared that they are ready to undo everything any Democrat ever did. I hope they don't realize that Democratic presidents led the nation to victory in World War II ...
The Republicans are, though, good at coming up with creative solutions to multiple problems...


The old comment that "with friends like these, who needs enemies?" seems to have been copyrighted by Pakistan ...


I wonder how I can get into this program ...


The new leadership in the House of Representatives is springing into inaction on the nation's problems by conducting large numbers of "investigations" into the Obama administration. Perhaps Representative Issa could use some help in figuring out just how many investigating committees he needs ...


I've never understood the term Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, which seems to me to be a cover term for the mathematical sleight-of-hand that allows you to derive diametrically opposite conclusions from the same data, depending on what you want your audience to hear. I wonder which of the generally accepted principles covers revenue derived from nontraditional sources ...


Happily, none of my children ever used this excuse about homework. Unfortunately, we'll just have to see whether any of the grandchildren pick up on it ...


I was going to use "Get back in shape" as a new year's resolution, but then I remembered that round is, in fact, a shape, so I dropped it. But I may get creative about the whole fitness thing in 2011 ...


I just couldn't pass this one up ...


And finally, sometimes there's a cartoon that speaks right to the heart ...


I note from comments received over the last few Cartoon Saturdays that some of you are having problems reading the cartoons because they don't enlarge when clicked. I'm not sure what the problem is, although I suspect it may have something to do with my editing of extraneous html coding that the Blogger system seems to inject into each post. I've tried to be more careful with that this time ... let me know if it works.

Outside my study window here in Northern Virginia, the snow is coming down heavily and steadily, although the meteorological prognosticators (weathermen, Mike) say we're only supposed to see a "dusting" of the white stuff. All I can say is that it's getting pretty dusty outside. Looks as if it will be a good day to spend indoors, taking down all the Christmas decorations.

Just a party animal, that's me!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo




5 comments:

Pb4ugo said...

It seems the WOW FACTOR is an EPIC FAIL. My BFF can't click to enlarge and has become a Mama Grizzly over this. What's the back story? The American people wanna know. The Blogger system administrators could certainly use an A-Ha Moment. I'm Just Sayin'. Live Life to the Fullest!

Mike said...

Still broke.

As for the child labor laws that falls under becareful what you wish for.

KKTSews said...

Still broke for me, too (in case you were thinkng it might be on the user end).

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A great caveman cartoon!

KathyA said...

I'd write more but I need to go downstairs and check all our sofa cushions...

Great cartoons!