I've always wanted to own a tank.
If you've been reading this blog long enough, you may recall that I wrote about this back in April of 2008, when I noted with envy that a Michigan university student had built a 1/2 scale operational model of a World War II German panzer that cost about $2000 to build, had a three-cylinder diesel engine that produced a maximum speed of 20 mph, and was equipped with an air cannon that fired golf balls and empty Red Bull cans.
How cool is that?
If some genie popped out of a bottle and offered me a wish, I might ask for a German Leopard 2, which is pretty intimidating ...
Or, to be a Buy American patriot, I might ask for one of those M1A2 Abrams beasts used by the U.S. Army, at least until Secretary of Defense (not War) Pete Hegseth decides they have to be retooled to run on high-proof testosterone ...
Either one would do for a leisurely commute down the commuter hell of Interstate 95, or to contend for a prime parking place at Costco on a Saturday afternoon.
My current chariot is a 2022 Toyota Avalon hybrid, a fine machine to be sure, with marvelous gas mileage (no small thing nowadays) but not something with which to command respect (if not fear) in Northern Virginia traffic.
I thought about the whole tank thing again when I saw this recent post from the Babylon Bee ...
I'm at the age where the DMV is starting to suspiciously ask for things like proof I can actually see and react to external stimuli before renewing my driver's license. I'm not sure how they'd react if I'd ask for an endorsement to drive a tank, too.
I don't think I'll ever get my tank. Even the most die-hard Second Amendment crazies aren't pushing for tank ownership rights, although perhaps they'll get to it after they manage to convince the Supreme Court to approve personal ownership of flamethrowers, armed drones, artillery, and tactical nuclear weapons.
I'll wait. Not patiently, but I'll wait.
Because I really want my tank.
Have a good day. More thoughts coming.
Bilbo



1 comment:
Parking at Costco was MY first thought about tank ownership too! Man, wouldn't that be sweet. Yes, I'm home again and back to daily blogging.
Post a Comment