Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Truth About Valentine's Day

First of all, to all the wonderful ladies who read my blog and comment regularly, Happy Valentine's Day! To Andrea, Katherine, Amanda (whose name comes from the Latin meaning "fit to be loved, lovable", and how cool is that for Valentine's Day?), Debbie, Craziequeen, SusieQ, Aine, Audrey, Fiona (oddly missing these last few weeks), Michelle, Kirsten, Canary, Mrs Scribe, lacochran, Zipcode, Leslie, and everyone else I may have inadvertently forgotten, may your Valentine's Day be filled with boxes of chocolates, bouquets of roses, breakfast in bed (however you want to interpret that), and general pampering by your loving significant other.

For you guys who read my blog and comment regularly, well, suck it up.


Let's face it...Valentine's Day isn't for us, it's for the ladies. It's a conspiracy cooked up by the florists, greeting card manufacturers, and candy makers to cash in on our collective guilt and offer us the chance to make feeble attempts to show our ladies that they really are more important to us than the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, or any of the other distractions that tend to befall the members of our sex.


Back in the day when I was doing my radio show on WEBR, the Fairfax County Public Access Radio Station, my highest-rated show each year (based on feedback from both men and women) was my Anti-Valentine's Day Show, which highlighted the side of this holiday that the florists and candy makers and greeting card manufacturers don't want you to think about...my playlist included songs like Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield," Kenny Rogers' "If I Were a Painting," the J. Geils Band's "Love Stinks," and Nanci Griffith's "Battlefield."
Yes, it's time to strip away the Saccharine Curtain and reveal the sordid truth about Valentine's Day!

But not, guys, before you pamper your significant other today.

We can suck it up for one day in order to have relative peace and happiness the other 364.

Have a good day. Happy Valentine's Day.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

John A Hill said...

"We can suck it up for one day in order to have relative peace and happiness the other 364."

Since you put it that way, I guess one day of contributing to the coffers of the card/candy/flower industry is worth it1

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Valentine's Day has never been a day for me, at least not since grade school when it was parties and tiny valentines shoved into little boxes.

Leslie David said...

I trust that Agnes is getting sufficiently pampered today? The only pampering in this house is of Marty the cat. I'm more the anti-V-D day myself. Skipping the Valentine's Day candy and going straight to Easter. :)

Mike said...

I KNEW there was something I was supposed to do today.

Debbie said...

For the anti-Valentine people, think of it this way...it's a better Economic Stimulus Package than what Congress came up with! Not very romantic, but very patriotic.