Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Doctor in the Family

This week, our son-in-law's brother (what does that make him in family relational terms?) will graduate from medical school, finally giving us a doctor in the family. We have enough engineers and linguists already, and thank goodness no one has disgraced us by becoming a lawyer or a politician. There are some Republicans and the odd Democrat in the family tree, but I try not to mention them when my security clearance comes up for review.

But getting back to the new doctor...

I've often wondered how people who become doctors decide on their specialties. Why does someone become a surgeon as opposed to a gynecologist or pathologist or ophthalmologist? Is it a decision based on expected future income, or are there other factors involved? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thus it was with great interest that I found this handy flow chart intended to help prospective doctors decide on their future specialties:

If you're thinking of going to medical school, this may help. Don't thank me...it's all part of the service.

And congratulations, Tad - we're very proud of you!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

3 comments:

Mike said...

"(what does that make him in family relational terms?)" - Some guy.

Cool chart.

Melissa B. said...

I'd be afraid if my doctor were afraid of the dark, wouldn't you? But I guess "afraid of the light" isn't much better, is it?

Amanda said...

Yes that is a cool chart.

I've always had this cynical view that doctors picked their specialties according to which one brought in the most money. But....I know not all are like that.