Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pots and Kettles

From the Department of Just When You Thought You'd Heard It All comes this marvelous headline from the CNN Political Ticker: Sharpton Threatens Suit Against Limbaugh.

Yes, the megatsunami of all political stupidity is fast approaching as two of the biggest empty-headed and divisive racial and political blowhards of all time face off. The "Reverend" Al Sharpton, who has made his reputation by being drawn to incidents with alleged racial overtones like moths to a porch light, is preparing to file a defamation suit against conservative windbag Rush Limbaugh for "erroneously" depicting Sharpton's role in fanning the flames of racial hatred in a number of incidents dating back to the 1990's.

This ought to be good, if for no other reason than - for probably the only time in history - I'm on Limbaugh's side.

But it's still a stupid waste of time that gives undeserved air time and print space to two of the most unfortunate figures in modern America. Sharpton's self-aggrandizing hyping of racial tensions has been discredited many times over, while Limbaugh is himself no slouch in grandly spouting the most ludicrous and groundless exaggerations of the opinions of others as he blows his own egotistical horn.

If you're looking for helpful examples of why we have continuing problems with race relations in this country, we could probably create a PhD program in the subject with two of the very best available instructors, just from watching this fiasco unfold.

I can't wait to see this mess develop, even though I know it will send my blood pressure through the roof. Perhaps I'll have my doctor send the bill to the Rush and Al Show.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

7 comments:

Mrs. Geezerette said...

It has been suggested that Obama could resolve this issue by meeting with the two men (Rush and Al) and discussing this whole thing over some beers.

Melissa B. said...

I think I'm on Al Sharpton's side on this. Not that I agree with his particular brand of wind-baggedness, but Limbaugh is just so loathesome...

Mike said...

I think we should all just sit in the moderate middle, grab a beer, and watch the show.

And no I didn't put on the no comment list!!! I've been noticing recently that you have to double check that your comment 'took'. Do you remember what you said? Or was that to long ago?

Bilbo said...

SusieQ - that's not a bad idea, but somehow I think it would just end up being a waste of good beer.

Melissa - I'm sorry I forgot the adjective "loathesome" while I was writing my post. I think that if the difference is between supporting one or the other of those two morons, I think we're going to need a lot of that beer SusieQ talked about!

Mike - My comment wasn't that memorable, but I had a great verification word definition that was the best part of the whole thing. Of course, now I can't remember it...

John A Hill said...

Careful, Bilbo. With a title like "Pots and Kettles" you're setting yourself up as another racist!

danielobvt said...

Hah! Glad I am not the only one whose first reaction was, "Al Sharpton is calling people racist? Is he claiming it under the "takes one to know one" clause?"

Leslie David said...

I don't care for either one.