Sunday, March 03, 2024

Poetry Sunday


As I work my way through my 70s en route to my 80s and the distant sunset of my own mortality, I need to make a lot of decisions and changes. One of them is what to do with all my stuff that I've collected over a lifetime ... stuff that means a lot to me, but that my children won't want and that I will need to discard if (when) we move to a smaller home. I can tell you, it's not easy to toss away the things that Margaret Hasse describes in today's poem as "all the weight that encumbered and rooted me on this earth." 

Belongings 
by Margaret Hasse 

After being a student, then an hourly worker,
I became a career girl and earned real money.
I left behind a provisional furnished apartment
with its stained curtains, butt-burned table
and Goodwill mattress I was never sure about.
Alone I bought a house with an attic,
a basement and a skirt of flowers.
Freely I spent on white paint, silver knobs
for kitchen cabinets and a sofa made of corduroy
that wrinkled my face when I napped.
A bureau with a display to worship
photos and framed mottos:
If only one prayer, thank you will suffice.
Do I regret the down payment,
fixtures, fittings, furniture, years of mortgage?
Would I take anything back?
No, I would not. I meant it all,
every purchase, all the weight that encumbered
and rooted me on this earth.


I'll let you know when the estate sale is.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

3 comments:

Mike said...

I started throwing stuff away a few years ago. It felt good at first but the thrill is gone. I have to ramp up the enthusiasm again. ... Tomorrow.

allenwoodhaven said...

Good poem! Expressed so well.

I've always figured that as long as you still had space, it was fine to keep things. You can't use what you don't have anymore! There is a lot of stuff though, and I should get rid of some. One of these days...

Dave Peterson said...

I started working on my accumulations in 1986, when both my parents died. I've had varying degrees of success in limiting the amount of stuff I've accumulated; the last major purge took 5-6 years and only ended a year or so ago.