Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Unseen University Disciplines


A while back, my nephew Ed sent me a marvelously funny meme titled "Unseen University Disciplines" ... a compilation of fields of academic study which are supposedly "in," replacing some of the no-longer-current Hogwarts classes. It occurs to me that many of these are important areas of study to help understand the bonzo crazy times we are now living through. Here are a few examples I culled from the list ...

Indefinite Studies. I think this one applies well to students who delay graduation because they know they'll never find a job that will repay their student loans.

Inadvisably Applied Magic. This one probably falls under the Economics faculty, and refers to the mystic belief in the power of magical things like "trickle-down economics."

Cruel and Unusual Geography. Detailed study and analysis of Russian territorial demands on its independent neighbors.

Illiberal Studies. Given that ultraconservative Republicans have joined with people like Hungarian leader Victor Orban to embrace "illiberal democracy" (aka "dictatorship"), this will probably be a popular extension course for MAGAts seeking to overturn democratic ideals and embrace government by "Christian" theocracy. 

Wooly Thinking. A general introduction to and survey of Republican economic and political theories.

There were also two courses I wouldn't have minded taking myself ...

Morbid Bibliomancy. It could help with the downsizing of my enormous personal library.

Extreme Horticulture. This sounds like a fun, high-energy approach to gardening. Now that spring is almost here, I think I'll sign up.

It's good that I'm retired and have lots of time to sign up for esoteric classes. Maybe I can get Mike or John to join me.

Have a good day. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

No comments: